Sunday, August 16, 2015

A Civil War Homecoming at Fort Snelling, Minneapolis, MN

This weekend the Minnesota Historical Society staged "A Civil War Homecoming", re-enacting the return of soldiers to Fort Snelling in 1865. This event is part of MNHS's Sesquicentennial commemoration. I'm crazy about sketching people in period costumes, so I was there on Saturday and Sunday. Roberta was there on Sunday and did some nice sketches.

The soldiers marching into Fort Snelling.
Civilians.
Cannons!
More Civilians.
A Colonel.
War Correspondent (artist David Geister).
More Soldiers.

2 comments:

  1. These are so evocative, Ken, thank you! I love sketching people in their kits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathy. Re-enactors are awesome, dedicated, knowledgeable people. I had really interesting conversations about history and costume as I sketched them. I was also fun to get to sketch and talk with David Geister. I bought the wonderful book "B is for Battle Cry" he illustrated, written by his wife Patricia Bauer. See h is work here: http://www.davidgeister.com/book-illustrations/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...