Wednesday, September 2, 2015

3 Days Sketching at the Minnesota State Fair

Every year, the Twin Cities Urban Sketchers gather at the Minnesota State Fair for a sketch-out.  This year, I went to the State Fair on two additional days. I  like sketching people and there's no better place to sketch people doing lots of different stuff than the State Fair. I also like to sketch animals.

I wanted to work big and quickly, so I mostly used a series 400 11X14 inch Strathmore toned paper pad. I also did a few sketches in my smaller, toned paper journal. I use a Pigma Graphic 1 pen and color with mostly Prismacolor pencils.

Here's some of my sketches:

One of the entrances to the Fair.

Fairgoers.

I like sketching the Sham-Wow guys.

A military vehicle attracted lots of people.

A Woody Guthrie concert. I got autographs.

A cow.

More cows.

More Fairgoers.

Piglets

The Jefferson Lines booth.

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful sketches! And so MANY of them...I think I would have had to be there a week to do that many...thank you for sharing, Ken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garsh, Cathy, thanks. I wanted to bring my watercolor journal, but watercolors takes time and there is so much to do there. Next year, I think I'll bring the watercolor journal.

      Delete
    2. The colored pencil on toned paper is wonderful! And yes, faster!!

      Delete
  2. From following Roz's blog I know who you are. Glad you posted here! I know you also did the illustrations for the buttons this year for the fair's sketch crawl. I can see why. The sketch with the single cow is a bid racy with its focus on T&A. Love the piglets nursing. You can feel the hustle. The wife and I took a short vacation up to Lake Superior and were going to hit the fair on our return trip, but we were tired and just wanted to get home. Minneapolis/St.Paul is a nice place to spend time. We overnighted there on our way up and stopped by Center of Book Arts and Wet Paint.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...