Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Red roses climbing

By Marcia Milner-Brage, Cedar Falls, Iowa

Steps to garden
Every year I attempt to express the beauty of my Iowa, May garden in a painting or drawing. The climbing roses on the arbor are usually the impetus to see if I can convey what I feel and see in my backyard paradise. Once again, I'm afraid I've fallen short. Nothing from my hand approaches the reality. l enjoyed trying though. May 30, 2016

Here's another attempt that includes our rose trellis from six years ago, shy two days. Note that the roses had not yet climbed over the top. May 28 2010.

Back patio roses

4 comments:

  1. I love seeing the passage of time in your garden through these sketches!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting for my husband and I to see these 2 drawings side-by-side. We planted the climbing rose on the right side 10 years ago and then another matching one on the left 4 years ago. This is the first year the left and right have joined in the middle--which is what we were hoping for.

      Delete
  2. Cedar Falls is, indeed, a beautiful place! My daughter and I drove up from Texas a few years ago as she wanted to visit UNI. We both fell in love with the countryside and the green grass. I'd seriously consider living there if I thought that I could survive the winters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cedar Falls is indeed a hidden gem. We've lived here for 30 years. If one can have a strategy for winter, the other seasons are hard not to love. I've always lived in places with winter. Learning how to dress for the cold, have a fireplace to sit by, and getting out and experiencing the cold and snow. The reality is it's quite exhilarating. It's the fear of winter that makes it nasty.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...