Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Freedom: NO COLOR

I love the ease of using a few simple tools. Don't get me wrong, I love to work in color--whether crayon or watercolor, too. But there's great freedom in rambling about my neighborhood with just a few tools and a pocket-size sketchbook. Here's a few recent sketches: black, white and shades of grey.

All were done within a short walk from my house in Cedar Falls, Iowa.


7th & Walnut
A house on a corner lot with overhanging eaves has a mature tree to shade it from the east and south.

Vintage Airstream in alley sketch
A vintage trailer parked in a back-alley.

Railroad Crossing 3rd & Iowa
Railroad tracks wend their way through my neighborhood. 

All were done with 5B pencil, Bic stick eraser, and water soluble graphite applied with a water brush. 

You can see more black and white sketches HERE in my Urban Sketchers blog post Black & White: traveling light

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...