Friday, September 21, 2012

Meeting Mr. Wright




These are little sketches done at our recent USk Chicago meet. So much to see and so much to take in, I opted to sketch some of the details on the Chicago Avenue side of his home and studio. The first is one of the sculptures above the walkway to the hidden door. The second is of the tourists and the reliefs that line the walkway.  I walked across the street for a closer view for  third sketch. It's a detail of the reliefs – the repeated stork motif and lastly a rough rendition of the logo.

Now I must go back to Oak Park and actually sketch Wright's glorious buildings! There was so much to take in at once.  In a five block area there are about seven houses designed or remodeled by Wright. What a feast for the eyes and imagination. The overall feeling of his work is monumental but his attention to detail is what really amazed me. It was a quite a day!



5 comments:

  1. Wonderful pages and fabulous sketching opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat sketches. Love your figures. Thought you probably were in Oak Park. My son-in-law, who's a furniture designer is a major Wright fan. He and my daughter spent an afternoon visiting all the Wright designed buildings in Oak Park. He also proposed to my daughter while the two of them were visiting Wright's Falling Water house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! Visiting Taliesin West is on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you styled the lettering to match the subject!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...