Monday, September 17, 2012

sketchcrawl, 15 Sept. by vickylw
sketchcrawl, 15 Sept., a photo by vickylw on Flickr.
Saturday we met at the Belvoir Winery in Liberty, Missouri for a sketchcrawl. The winery is located in one of the old buildings originally home to the Odd Fellows Lodge. Lots of interesting artifacts and photos are on display from the lodge days . . . including the skeleton of George, one of the lodge's early members, in his glass-topped coffin!

I did not get very much down on paper --- there's just so much to draw in this place, it was hard for me to focus. (The cup of tea and turnpike ticket were drawn during the 3-hour drive from our home in Kansas. A bit wonky in perspective).

 
Here, Kate is sketching one of the old buildings that is still in a state of decay and neglect, while sitting on what used to be a twin chaise lounge. There are so many options available to sketch here, both inside and out --- we definitely need to return on future sketch crawls.

6 comments:

  1. I like the angel against the red of the building. Fun to see Kate and Joseph together, doing their thing. Weird about displaying George's skeleton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I hadn't seen the photo of us, that's nice! Thank you! And you KNOW I love your page...fun place, isn't it? I guess I need to go back so I can sketch that skeleton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I sketched from a couple of photos I took on Saturday, this time directly in ink with my new Hero pen (LOVE it -- thanks!). I liked the result much better than the careful drawing done on site. The new sketch page is on my blog and Flickr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I'm glad you're having fun, I like the effect you got!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your pages! I know what you mean about so much to draw. I had the same experience recently in Oak Park IL at the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine the confusion I would have sketching at a place like that! I love the designs of Wright's era. Chicago has so much fabulous architecture from that time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...