Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Caffeinated Mind


My last post mentioned Mandy Patinkin. His voice is incredible! That got me to thinking about some of  my favorite songs I've heard him sing. That got me to thinking about Coffee in a Cardboard Cup, a song from a musical 70, Girls, 70. That got me to thinking about Starbucks and how much time I spend there catching my breath and sketching while running errands. It's a very different take on coffee in a cardboard cup than the one presented in the song.








That got me to thinking about the song's basic premise and I still think it's a good one.
"The trouble with the world today, it seems to me,
Is coffee in a cardboard cup.
The trouble with the affluent society
Is coffee in a cardboard cup.
No one's ever casual and nonchalant,
No one waits a minute in a restaurant,
No one wants a waitress passing pleasantries
Like "How're you, Miss?"
"How're you, Sir?"
"May I take your order please?"
The trouble with the world today is plain to see,
Is everything is hurry up.
It's rush it through, and don't be slow,
And BLT on rye to go,
With coffee (I think she said)
Coffee (I know she said)
Coffee in a cardboard cup."    70, Girls, 70

7 comments:

  1. Well, that got me on a side trip. Had to go out to youtube and search for Mandy and this song. Found it. I didn't know the FBI guy could sing Broadway and act Shakespeare. That, mixed with CSI, is just too many images to resolve to one actor/singer. He's talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That WAS a great image...and yep, I think it's the cardboard cup that's what I focus on, not the coffee (she said, taking another sip of this morning's brew--in a hand-thrown pottery cup made by a friend, I might add!)

    LOVE your sketches, Barbara...and oh yes, Mandy Patinkin is amazing. Remember him from St. Elsewhere, I think it was?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He really is a talent. Around here the movie "The Princess Bride" is a big favorite. I think my husband, son and son-in-law have the whole thing memorized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Joseph quotes it frequently, and co-moderates a HUGE Facebook group called "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya" etc.<:-D

      Delete
  4. One really earns ones stripes as an Urban Sketcher by drawing in coffee shops. Fun sequence! And the lyrics are a delight!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...