Monday, November 12, 2012

Downtown White Bear Lake Square sketch

I realized I hadn't sketched in a couple of days and I especially haven't sketched White Bear Lake, MN where I work. They have a wonderful square, a beautiful lake, and I keep thinking about sketching these things but don't. So I did. What is funny about this sketch is I circled the block three times. Found this perfect spot, pulled in backward,  then this huge truck pulled in next to me...I am being kind in the sketch, and then I sketched for about 30 min.  Noticing I had lost track of time I threw sky in.  If you look close you can see that I threw too much in.  Started the car, and nothing.  I had killed my battery.  Turned out to be a low battery that just wanted a drink of water from the bar I had just painted.  I plan to do a lot more around the square and area.  This was on a moleskin watercolor log book with my altoid paint kit.

5 comments:

  1. Love the sketch, James, looks like a sketch magnet for sure! And I'm glad your battery was just thirsty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you integrated the frame and the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sketch came out nice. I like the feeling of it. The size of the buildings is like what I see in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good spot. Nice drawing. I like everything you put in. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Finding the right spot sometimes does take more time than one might expect. One of the perils of urban sketching is having ones view foiled by a delivery truck or king-size SUV.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...