Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Air Zoo C-47

This sketch was done yesterday morning at one of my favorite spots...Kalamazoo, Michigan's Air Zoo aircraft museum.

The Air Zoo houses a wide variety of aircraft but I particularly enjoy their WW II aircraft. This piece is of the Zoo's C-47. The aircraft shows the colors and markings that it would have displayed during the June, 1944 D-Day invasion of Europe. At that point in time the aircraft would have been carrying paratroopers headed for various invasion drop zones.

The C-47, the military version of the venerable Douglas DC-3, was flown by the Army Air Corps throughout Europe and the Pacific during the war. The aircraft continued service with the Air Force post the war and was still flying combat missions during the Vietnam conflict. Pretty amazing considering the DC-3 design first took to the air in 1935. The airplane is considered by many to be one of the most reliable ever built.

I have to pass on my thanks to the Air Zoo. They've kindly given me permission to work inside the barriers that surround the aircraft. Being able to get close is a big help with details and it's great to be able to bring along a chair that I can sit in while I'm working!

2 comments:

  1. Cool sketch Dave! So great that you have been given unique access to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your affinity for the old WWII birds. Great sketch and story. We have a Air Combat Museum in Topeka, but I haven't made it there yet. I always thought the C-47 looked like the DC-3 and never understood the difference. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...