Thursday, August 13, 2015

Abandoned Municipal Buildings...

This is the old water treatment plant, no longer in use, in Lawson, Missouri...these lovely summer mornings, we've been getting out early to sketch and fish.  The little building is at a lake my husband loves to fish in, so it's the best of both worlds for us!  I wonder where they treat their water now...?

The front entrance, up the hill from the lake...


I can see this is going to be the subject of a whole series of sketches...I explored it up close the other day, and found all sorts of interesting textures and details.

I used my bent nib calligraphy pen on this one...I like the lively lines!
This little metal pier seems to be some kind of pump...it makes noise.  You can see the same little building in the background...

These two are from last month, a different angle...what is it about abandoned buildings that captures our imagination?

4 comments:

  1. Abandoned buildings: great theme. Not functioning as originally intended yet still very much defining the landscape, as your sketches so beautiful show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by them, Marcia, always have been. I'm so glad I've gotten some of them sketched before they were razed--most of those, of course, right in town to make room for something else. I suspect this one will just stay as it is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make it look so effortless Kate! Beautiful sketches.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...