Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Puttin' on the Ritz…Um–Palmer House



Yesterday our Monday Sketch Group met at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago. Many thanks to Ken Price in public relations who made sure we were cleared to sketch to our hearts content in the very busy lobby. 

The Palmer House was built in 1871 by Potter Palmer as a wedding gift for his wife Bertha. It burned  down during the Great Chicago fire, only two weeks after it was complete. Rebuilt right away, then renovated in the 1920's and again just recently, the hotel has always maintained it's aura of grandeur and glamour.

Although I've been to the Palmer House on many occasions I found I was overwhelmed by the idea of sketching there and had trouble focusing and simplifying. It was still a fun experience.  I had planned to add some of the rug pattern somewhere on the page but didn't get to it. Oh well, I'll just have to go back!

2 comments:

  1. You’ve really captured the grandeur and elegance of this place. All that gold leaf! WOW! Once, about 20 years ago, we stayed there. It struck me as a fantasy palace from another era (it was special then, even though in need of refurbishment). Obviously, there's lots more material there for you. I’ll await your results from round two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous, Barbara, I love your spread. I'd love to stay there...we'll look forward to MORE from you on Palmer House!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...