Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Shall we meet in Santo Domingo?

I will be attending the 3rd International Urban Sketching Symposium in Santo Domingo, The Dominican Republic. I attended the first in Portland, Oregon. And the second in Lisbon, Portugal. I am hoping other Midwest Urban Sketchers will be attending this July. If you are, it will be great to see you there and sketch alongside you! If you haven't made plans to go yet or on the fence about making the journey, I encourage you: Do it!!!! For me, the Symposium have been life-changing, expanding my creative work to dimensions unimaginable beforehand.

Here's a panorama of Lisbon I drew during the workshop conducted by Simo Capecchi (Naples, Italy) and Claudio Patane (Catania, Italy). I'm very excited about their panorama workshop in Santo Domingo. My husband and I spent a total of 3 weeks in Portugal. To see more from the Lisbon Symposium and other Portugal sketches go here.

Lisbon Panorama from Elevador Sante Justa

Twilight from Room 516, Mark Spencer Hotel
Toothache & Takeout
Toothache and Take-out
For more that I did in Portland and photographs, go here.

7 comments:

  1. Marcia, I wondered if you were going to make it this year! I don't know if anyone else is, but I'm so looking forward to seeing the sketches you bring back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey Travis, from Chicago who posts to the FBUSK is coming. We met (briefly) in Lisbon, too. Since no one else is speaking up here, it looks like no other USKMidwest correspondents are going or contemplating it :-/

      Delete
    2. Or they haven't checked the blog. It's just way too much, for me...too far, too complex, too expensive and too exhausting, but then I'm old!

      Delete
    3. HaRumpf! on the "I'm old" part. I probably qualify for that category, too (I was born in 1951).

      Delete
    4. I've got a few years on you! AND arthritic knees, so all the walking necessary just isn't happening. I'll SO look forward to your sketches!

      Delete
  2. Urban sketching and plein air can be physically demanding. I'm always trying to figure out adaptations so I can keep on. I'll do my best to bring back sketches from Santo Domingo worthy of posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. I've finally agreed to let my husband get a wheelchair for me in airports and it's made a big difference.

      Adaptations are why I keep simplifying my kit, though! Can't carry much, comfortably. And then I have my car kit...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...