Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sketchcrawl!

Our regular sketchcrawl group met yesterday, as Christiana said, and had a ball!  We decided to branch out a bit this month since the weather was good, and met at the huge Bass Pro Shops in Independence.




This is right inside the front door, beside a huge fireplace, soft couches, bookcases, piles of decoys and all kinds of fun things.

Here's my spread done on the soft lovely couches overlooking the lake...loved the driftwood table!
I was having a bear day!  I sat beside the indoor pool with real ducks and fish swimming by and sketched this lifelike grizz while people stopped to see what we were doing.  Vicky sketched the same bear from a different angle.

Here's John hard at work near that fireplace...

Vicky had to sketch the Texas longhorn, since all her kids live in Texas!

The start of Christiana's page that you saw earlier today...

And of course, as usual, dinner and sharing our journals after!  Islamorada Fish Company has great food, and we all seemed to enjoy it.  We had two brand-new members, and three non-sketching spouses--what a great bunch!  Didn't get Vicky, John, or Wilma in this shot, unfortunately...


And here's some of our work, spread out on the floor of the restaurant!  Pretty sure they weren't used to a group like ours...

And wouldn't you know I forgot my camera, and Diana Downing was kind enough to let me borrow hers!  She's been sharing photos with me, and I'll get more up here as I get them...

More on my sketchathon on our parent blog, Urban Sketchers.

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea for a sketching spot! Did Bass Pro bat an eye, or were they supportive? We've got a wonderful huge one here and I'm thinking what a great idea this will be in the summer heat! Also might approach them as a destination for my children's 'Nature Sleuths and Sketchers' group. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY supportive! We should have let the restaurant know ahead of time, but they handled it like champs, pushing tables together and sorting us all out.

    And yes, I've sketched at ours when it was both way too hot and way too cold to be outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was, Barbara! I hope we can plan at least one or two get-togethers for blog correspondents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice "report", Kate -- We had fun!

    I won't post my sketches yet after all. Computer not working at all -- and hard to post message on this iPod!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, nooo! Computer problems! Our printer's suddenly decided to go offline...glad we have President's Day to get things sorted out so we can print our mailing labels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bass Pro looks like taxidermy heaven! Great subject matter and great results from the group!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a really good opportunity to get close to things you couldn't otherwise, that's for sure! It would be fun to show some of the people that were there, but we were doing SO much, so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, what a terrific time you all had. Wish you were in Northern Virginia!!! And your creative work, great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth, I lived in Front Royal for almost twenty years before moving here. It was move Kate there or move me here and here was the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You live in a gorgeous area, Ruth! Plenty of sketching ops...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful time together. Wish I can join.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was delightful, Nik, wish you could too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a good time was had by all! How long did you spend sketching in the Shop? Interested in starting a sketchcrawl group in my own town. I suppose you go out at different times of the day each month as well? Thanks for the info and happy sketching to all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess we were there about 3-4 hours, including dinner. And no, mostly we meet at about 12:30...one of our members has a three hour drive each way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...