Friday, February 17, 2012

A Surprise Sketching Day!


We thought Joseph had a doctor's appointment in the City today, so we were up and out much earlier than usual for us...it's NEXT week, so we had lots of time before our lunch date.  After a stop by Planter's Seed (yes, again!) we drove down Main Street and I remembered I'd wanted to sketch the new Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts--what better time!  It was glorious weather for it...we found a parking spot just over the hill, and I sketched to my heart's content.

It was fascinating watching this thing go up...it reminds me of Sydney, Australia's opera house, but when they were building it it was all rusty iron and very post-Apocalyptic-looking.  I almost wish they could have left it...

There's another from that same vantage point on the Urban Sketchers blog...


After lunch at the Marrakech Cafe (sketches from there once I finish the lettering, but that may be Sunday!), we hit Costco on the way home...I waited while Joseph ran in and got the few things we needed, so I knew I didn't have much time.  This is a Derwent Blue Grey watercolor pencil with a bit of watercolor wash to liven it up.

8 comments:

  1. Before I read your post, I was thinking to myself that the top sketch reminded me of the Sydney Opera House. Wonderful sketches, Kate. It sounds like you had a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was terrific, Serena! Amazing weather, driving around with the windows down in February, sitting in the sun and getting TOO hot sketching...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The preforming arts center really looks interesting. In your sketch, the gradation of curved forms backed by the blue shadows is really exciting. You’ve really captured its monumental-ness. I also feel you’ve done so well conveying the sunny brightness of a Midwest winter day. Good idea to have a link from the USK correspondent blog back to here. I guess I’ve been trying to figure out how we can stir up more visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were wishing there were some good way to show scale...it was over the hill, so a person near it would have been invisible. I was hoping the light posts would do it, but they were closer to me, so loomed larger.

    Can't believe we actually got too hot and had to roll down windows!

    And yes, I think if we link back to our posts on Flickr and Facebook and our own blogs, more people will find us. I SO want the Midwest to get the attention it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always glad to hear when someone gets a bonus day of sketching in. These are terrific. That arts center is fascinating. Love the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so wonderful! Great sketches. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great sketch! And yes, it reminded me of the Sidney Opera house also - nice work, and such a productive day~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...