Friday, June 1, 2012

From 2 Sides of the Cedar River

Today, I biked, with my sketching stuff in my panniers, to Gateway Park to look across the Cedar River to downtown Cedar Falls. I used some new pencil/crayons (Stabilo Woodys) that were recommended by Donna, an Urban Sketcher from Arizona, who I had met at the 1st USK Symposium in Portland.



When home, I remembered a watercolor/ink sketch from July, 2 years ago, that I had done from one of  the park benches against the white concrete wall, looking across the Cedar River to Gateway Park. And today, I was drawing very close to this tree.
Mullen & Cottonwood
Mullein and Cottonwood

9 comments:

  1. Interesting urban sketching and description as ever :)
    I have some of those pencils too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie! Donna recommended these crayons to me as a stand-in for my Neocolor II crayons which have been showing signs of melting in my hand on hot days. The colors are limited, but good. I'm headed to two hot and humid places in the next 2 months--Georgia coast and Santo Domingo--so I'm hopeful these will function better in the heat. (If I wasn't so stubborn, I'd just do watercolors when it's hot. But I do love this coloring that I rediscovered this winter.)

      Delete
  2. I love the two views...you're tempting me to go out sketching today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you sketch long enough in the same town overlapping and repeated subject matter start popping up. The church steeple in the distance (United Methodist Church) is one of those landmarks visible from multiple sight lines. OOO...can't wait to see where you end of sketching today, Cathy!

      Delete
    2. oops, its the St. Patrick’s Catholic Church steeple. They’re across the street from one another.

      Delete
  3. Lovely! The sketch on brown paper is especially intriguing. It came out so vivid! I must try craft paper some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this paper, too! This is high-end craft paper because it's archival. I highly recommend these spiral books that come in black, too. They're sold as photo books by Canson. Glad you like, Alex!

      Delete
  4. Neat sketches! I've never used the crayons/pencils-Hmm maybe I should give them a try - any excuse to go to the art store LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sketches! The variety of materials & media used is terrific!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...