Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Up on the roof, St. Louis

The stair well on top floor of the Keiner Plaza East parking garage bristles with satellite dishes. Like all forms of clutter after awhile they become invisible and just another piece of the urban landscape. I completed this sketch over a period of several days working 15 to 20 minutes at a time during the lunch hour. I have recently noticed a few other seemingly mundane infrastructure set pieces in the downtown area such as electrical transformer stations that are monumental in scale and intricately complex. They now are my “sketch worthy” list.
Satellite Dishes, Keiner Plaza East Parking Garage, 03.30.2012, Michael Anderson, waterbrush, water color, Canson 140lb cold press, 7″ x 9″.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE this Michael! I'm attracted to power lines and street signs, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on a roll, Michael! I think claiming the "clutter", the "mundane", of a cityscape is a fabulous focus for a series. Go for it! I've always deemed satellite dishes to be ugly--which is all the more reason to draw them, I conclude from your wonderful, lively sketch. I like the mention of your "sketch worthy" list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kate & Marcia. I once heard someone describe power lines, street lights, parking meters, signs, etc. as "gak". I am sure it was a made up word on the spot but I thought it was a perfect name. In the mean time forgive me for hijacking the blog:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gak--perfect! No apologies needed for "hijacking", as far as I'm concerned. I've done the same. I think each of us should take the stage whenever we have work we're excited about sharing.

      Delete
  4. There's nothing like a city treasure hunt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is that hijacking, Michael?? We're here to discuss and consider as well as share sketches! No need to apologize, we want to see as much of your work (and your thoughts) as you're willing to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice sketch! St. Louis is known for its various temples and earthwork mounds which could thoroughly be seen through on higher ground, like a rooftop. It is also the largest in the metropolitan area of Missouri and the second largest city in the state.

    Penelope Dingee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...