Thursday, April 12, 2012

Winter--Now Spring

Crabapple Winter Shadows

White Crabapple 11th & Clay

A tree, drawn two months apart, is a way for me to chronicle the seasons. This crabapple is across the street from my house. I drew it from my second floor bedroom window in February at midday, compelled to record its blue shadows on the white snow. This week, in mid-April, it came into glorious bloom--a veritable cloud, a perfumed canopy, that spans overhead across the sidewalk. I set up my portable easel on the sidewalk across the street and drew, my back to the west. The late afternoon sun warmed my shoulders and cast dappled shade. Cedar Falls, Iowa, my home for 25 years, is a very treed city. This individual is one of my favorite.

Both are done with Neocolor II soluble wax pastels in Canson archival photo albums. Winter was done on black paper, spring on "wicker". 13.5 " X 11"

8 comments:

  1. Wow! The tree in the first sketch stands out in such a 3-D manner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment, Vicky, prompted me to look at the original. And the tree does indeed stand out from the picture plane. Having more educated eyes looking at ones art is really a great advantage. Thanks for speaking your observation.

      Delete
  2. I like going back to previously sketched subjects too. Often they are worthy of another look, conditions are different or maybe even drawing skills improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that “worthy of another look”. I found another drawing of this same tree done 2 years ago in Summer. It had some interest to me still, but showed nothing close to the ability I have evolved to.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I really like this concept, and your execution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcia, I shared this with Urban Sketchers page on Facebook...hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t mind one iota. In fact THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! For some reason Urban Sketcher’s Facebook has slipped out of my radar. I’ll have put it on my Internet “rounds” again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...